work licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution Non Commercial 2.5 License.
© copyright Randall Munroe
The current stable branch is 0.10.
Next major version, 0.11.0, released when ready, “Pauca, sed matura…”.
[DOCUMENTATION] Official manuals pages exported as html.
Download / Packages
MPD_sima is currently packaged for Download two different linux distro.
- A Debian package is maintained by MPD_sima team and available in Debian (wheezy branch only)
- The Arch Linux Community is maintaining mpd-sima package in AUR
- I'll be very pleased if you pick up anything from my amazon wishlist .
- Donate using paypal
- You might use Flattr as well
Donations will be equally shared between the forge and MPD_sima devs.
- Queue similar artists or top tracks for similar artists.
- Queue whole albums (MPD_sima >= 0.7).
- May run as a daemon, system wide, or within regular user account (MPD_sima >= 0.8).
- Preferably plays non-recently artists.
- Black list to prevent from queuing a track, a whole album or an artist (MPD_sima >= 0.7).
- User DB for similar artists (MPD_sima >= 0.3), allowing to add user preferences for similarities.
- Perform fuzzy match against MPD media library, ie. looking for "The Beatles" should match "Beatles" (MPD_sima >= 0.6).
- Caching audioscrobbler request.
- MPD connection with authentication. Support environment variables MPD_HOST and MPD_PORT.
- Python is IPv6 ready, so is MPD_sima
Need more features, got an Idea?
Please drop a line on the wiki or post a new ticket on the tracker
Needed requirements for MPD_sima.
-  MPD >= 0.14
-  python >= 2.6 and < 3
-  python library: python-mpd >= 0.3.0
- Web access (last.fm request done over http)
MPD_sima is a python script meant to deal with your MPD server , automagically adding title to your playlist following different policies.
Remember that a good tagging policy is a prerequisite for a MPD_sima to satisfy you. It allows the script to know what your listening to!!
This a pure console tool I wrote, trying to keep in mind the
Meaning, mpd_sima will only try to add tracks to your playlist, anything else should not be included or requested.
MPD_sima is looking for the availability of these suggestions in your MPD media database and randomly selects some titles to add the playlist.
Running MPD_sima with last.fm suggestions you have to be aware that the
larger is your music library the better MPD_sima will behave. It
also depends on what kind of music you have on your computer.
But most of all,MPD_sima heavily rests on sound file tags. So, please, tag properly your music files!
You cannot expect MPD_sima to guess the name of the artist your listening to. Then I'm aware the same artist is spelled differently for different people and for last.fm as well. That's why I added a fuzzy search to smooth it away (with a levenshtein distance).
Nevertheless a good tagging policy is a prerequisite for a MPD_sima to satisfy you.
Official manuals are distributed with the source as docbook and already processed as html and roff pages. You can also consult them on line.
MPD_sima has been written for python >= 2.6, < 3.0, your welcome to send feedback
Simply run the shell script “launch.sh” or python script
The python script accepts some CLI options (cf. --help for details or manuals):
If you need special settings to access to your MPD server,
edit configuration file located at $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/mpd_sima/,
An exemple is provided in the tarball doc/examples/mpd_sima.cfg. The defaults are an MPD server on localhost:6600 with no password or retrieve from MPD environment variables MPD_HOST and MPD_PORT is you set them up (cf man 1 mpc for more info on MPD env. variables).
For advanced use refer to dedicated page AdvancedUse.
Please refer to devel pages.
Similar projects/code, fair competition is good
Check the similar projects, add yours
They wrote about us
 Python programing language
 Python MPD